We are currently reading for Ecotone 20, the Sound issue, through May 15, 2015. Ecotone’s general reading period is August 15–April 15, unless otherwise announced.
Ecotone 20: Sound
What does place sound like? Ecotone’s fall 2015 issue will consider the ways sound roots us where we are and reminds us of where we’ve been. We’re interested in how sound shapes the lives of humans and other creatures, from the ways we communicate to the spaces and landscapes we inhabit. We’re thinking about musicology, musicians, linguistics, thriving and endangered languages, vibration, sound waves, silence, symphonies, solos, band names, Deaf culture, duets, aural technology. We’d like to hear about sound’s role in spirituality and in social change; its future, its transference, its sensuousness, its past. Through May 15, 2015, the editors welcome poetry, fiction, and nonfiction that explore or engage with these concerns and more.
Ecotone is now accepting submissions online. If you would like to send us your work in that format, please follow this link: https://ecotone.submittable.com/submit. There is a $3 service fee to use the online submissions system. On completion of your submission, we'll send you a discount for $3 off a year's subscription to the magazine.
Alternatively, you may still mail submissions to the magazine at this address:
All manuscripts and all correspondence regarding submissions that are sent to our physical address in Wilmington should be accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) for a response; no replies will be given by e-mail to submissions sent through the mail. We assume no responsibility for delay, loss, or damage.
Please review these guidelines:
- Unless otherwise announced, Ecotone’s reading period is August 15–April 15. We may close submissions within that window for administrative reasons; if we do so, the new dates will be posted in this space (as above for the Sound issue). We adhere strictly to posted dates. Any mailed submission postmarked outside the listed submission period will be recycled unread.
- We accept submissions via post and Submittable. Include a brief cover letter with your submission, and be sure to list the title(s) of the piece(s) you are sending in it, as well as a word count.
- Do not include your name, information, or cover letter in the file with, or on individual pages of, your submission.
- For online submissions, include your contact information, along with your cover letter, in the cover letter field.
- Send one prose piece of no more than thirty double-spaced pages, or three to five poems, at a time (send genres separately). We are now considering shorter prose works (under 2,500 words) as well, one per submission.
- Please do not send multiple submissions in one genre; any such submissions will be deleted unread. Wait to hear from us before sending additional work in a given genre.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, provided that you let us know that you are submitting simultaneously and notify us promptly if the manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
- For online submissions, please notify of withdrawn work by adding a note within Submittable; do not email the editors to withdraw work.
- We do not read previously published work.
- Do not send another manuscript until you hear about the first.
Reporting time is generally four to six months. Writers are welcome to query after six months; please do not query until that point.
- Prose should be typed, double-spaced, and printed on one side of the page. Include page numbers and a word count.
- Poems should be typed, single-spaced, on one side of the page.
- We have no preference regarding the use of staples versus paper clips.
- Ecotone charges a fee of $3 for electronic submissions. If you submit here, we'll send you a coupon code for $3 off a subscription or renewal. If you are unable to pay this fee, or if you prefer the postal service to the Internet, please submit by mail, following the guidelines listed above. Address work to the editor of the appropriate genre: [name of editor], Ecotone, UNCW Creative Writing Dept., 601 S. College Road, Wilmington, NC 28403.
- Owing to the increasingly cumbersome and unreliable nature of International Reply Coupons, writers outside the United States should use Ecotone’s online submissions system to send their work.
Want Ecotone news? [Give us your e-mail address]. We promise that when you hear from us, you’ll be happy, not annoyed.