Ecotone’s reading period is August 15–April 15. Regular online submissions will be closed from March 1 to March 8, 2015.
Through March 8, we will be accepting responses for a special feature for the magazine's tenth anniversary. We may publish some responses online or in print; we hope you'll send your thoughts. You can do so here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DNTS35G
Ecotone is now accepting submissions online. If you would like to send us your work in that format, please follow this link: https://ecotone.submittable.com/submit. There is a $3 service fee to use the online submissions system. On completion of your submission, we'll send you a discount for $3 on a year's subscription to the magazine.
Alternatively, you may still mail submissions to the magazine at this address:
All manuscripts and all correspondence regarding submissions that are sent to our physical address in Wilmington should be accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) for a response; no replies will be given by e-mail to submissions sent through the mail. We assume no responsibility for delay, loss, or damage.
Please review these guidelines:
- Ecotone’s reading period is August 15–April 15. We adhere strictly to these dates. We may close submissions within that window for administrative reasons; if we do so, the new dates will be posted in this space. Any postal submission postmarked outside the submission period will be recycled unread.
- We accept submissions via post and Submittable. Include a brief cover letter with your submission, and be sure to list the title(s) of the piece(s) you are sending in it, as well as a word count.
- For online submissions, include your contact information, along with your cover letter, in the cover letter field.
- DO NOT include your name, information, or cover letter in the file with, or on individual pages of, your submission.
- Send one prose piece of no more than thirty double-spaced pages, or three to five poems, at a time (send genres separately). We are now considering shorter prose works (under 2,500 words) as well, one per submission.
- Please do not send multiple submissions in one genre; any such submissions will be deleted unread. Wait to hear from us before sending additional work in that genre.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, provided that you let us know that you are submitting simultaneously and notify us immediately if the manuscript is accepted elsewhere. For online submissions, please do so by adding a note within Submittable; do not email the editors to withdraw work.
- We do not consider previously published work.
- Do not send another manuscript until you hear about the first. Reporting time is generally four to six months; writers are welcome to query after six months.
- Prose should be typed, double-spaced, and printed on one side of the page. Include page numbers and a word count.
- Poems should be typed either single- or double-spaced on one side of the page.
- We have no preference regarding the use of staples versus paper clips.
- Ecotone charges a small fee for electronic submissions. If you are unable to pay this fee, please submit by postal mail, following the guidelines listed above. Address work to Ecotone, [genre], UNCW Creative Writing Dept., 601 S. College Road, Wilmington, NC 28403.
- Owing to the increasingly cumbersome and unreliable nature of International Reply Coupons, writers outside the United States should use Ecotone’s online submissions system to send their work.
Want Ecotone news? [Give us your e-mail address]. We promise that when you hear from us, you’ll be happy, not annoyed.